Patrick Moraz - The Story of I  (Atlantic US | June 1976)

Taken from The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock, here is an Album of the Week to enjoy and discuss.
webmaster
Site Admin

Patrick Moraz - The Story of I  (Atlantic US | June 1976)

Post by webmaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 am

Following the Relayer tour, Yes' keyboardist Patrick Moraz teamed up with two old friends and Mainhorse compatriots—Jean Ristori as engineer and Jean de Antoni on guitar—and further assembled an impressive cast of musicians for his solo album. John McBurnie of Jackson Heights wrote the album's lyrics and sang vocals, while drum duties were split between Alphonse Mouzon (side one) and Andy Newmark (side two). Jeff Berlin provided bass, while Ray Gomez was the second guitarist. The album tells the story of a tower where people can enact their own fantasies inside; though ultimately, it's a trap: The liner notes offer the play-by-play. All that aside, it's an amazing record of ethno-fusion-rock, or whatever you want to call it. Obviously, there's no shortage of Moraz's virtuoso keyboards, but two days in Brazil also provided percussion overdubs that give The Story of I its unique character. McBurnie's vocals on "Warmer Hands" and "Indoors" highlight the pop sensibility within the record, though not to be lost to the thick manic fusion underneath; note the frenetic soloing of the latter! The groove of "Incantation (Procession)" is hypnotic and the palette of sounds nonpareil. The album was meant to be played as a single piece of music, and I must agree: It works best as a whole. Moraz finished touring commitments with Yes in 1976; but by the end of the year, when the group convened in Switzerland to record their next album, Moraz got the boot. He was quick to recover, however, releasing his next album Out In The Sun in 1977, and after moving to Brazil, the Latin-flavored Patrick Moraz appeared in 1978. It was his last for Charisma. But as luck would have it, he then landed work as touring keyboardist for the Moody Blues. Splitting releases with Carrere Records-including the excellent Future Memories-in France and the American PVC label, Moraz would enjoy a prolific solo career well into the 80s, which also included two albums on the EG label with Bill Bruford.

FPB_SOURCE http://strawberrybricks.com/guide/releases/story-i
"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"